The West Side Federation for Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc. (WSFSSH)
Job Title: Area Manager
The West Side Federation for Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc. (WSFSSH) is a community‐based organization whose mission is to provide safe, affordable housing with supportive services within a residential setting which enhances the independence and dignity of each person. WSFSSH develops and manages housing and provides social services for low‐income older persons, many of whom live with mental illness and/or have experienced homelessness. WSFSSH currently owns and operates nearly 2400 units in 29 buildings located in Manhattan and the Bronx.
In this newly created position, the Area Manager will report to the Deputy Director/Chief Operating Officer and is responsible for the oversight, smooth and safe operation of buildings owned and operated by WSFSSH. The Area Manager is responsible for implementing procedures and management best practices that ensure the effective and efficient operation of properties within established budgets and in compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and that allow residents to be stably housed. The Area Manager provides direction and leadership to a team of property managers who each oversee individual or groups of properties.
The following list highlights the responsibilities of the Area Manager:
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least six years’ experience in property management or related activity including experience managing multiple properties. Experience with:
- Rent increase requests to HPD, NYCHA, SCRIE and DRIE as applicable
- Addressing tenant and subsidy arrears
- Shepherding cases through housing court
- Rent stabilization and the rent registration process
- At least four years' experience managing people.
- Knowledge of Section 8 (project based and tenant based vouchers); LIHTC certification and knowledge of housing subsidy programs required, including their marketing requirements; Quadel certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Section 9, NY/NY I,II,&III, , Mitchell Lama, SCRIE, DRIE, NY 15/15, ESSHI, HOME, HHAP, City FHEPS and their marketing requirements preferred.
- Advanced or strong knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook, and Teams.
- Facility with RealPage property management system or similar.
- Ability to read and write in the English language; fluency in Spanish helpful.
- Strong communication skills including proven ability to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and experience communicating with senior management.
- Experience working with persons who have experienced homelessness, persons with histories of substance abuse, and/or persons living with serious and persistent mental illness, preferred.
- Strong leadership skills with a proven track record for creating and maintaining positive and mindful change.
- Team-oriented outlook with ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Able to interact tactfully with staff, residents, visitors, vendors, inspectors and work cooperatively with property managers and outside consultants.
- Able to make independent decisions and handle stressful situations when required.
- Ability to be available for emergencies including weekends and evenings when needed.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
WSFSSH is committed to principles of Diversity, Inclusion & Equity. Individuals with life experiences as a person of color; being LGBTQIA+; having a disability; &/or having a family background which can contribute different views to the workplace-- such as experiences of poverty or housing insecurity -- are strongly encouraged to apply.
WSFSSH is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEO); employment is based upon employees’ qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Please submit resume to [email protected].