Personal Care Specialist - Shift Supervisor, West 74th Street
West Side Federation For Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc.
Job Description: Shift Supervisor-Personal Care Specialist
Under the supervision of the personal care program supervisor and the administrator, provide a range of services and supervision to residents of
- Supervise personal care and housekeeping staff on assigned shift.
- Serve as Person-In-Charge in the absence of Administrator/Director, Clinical Coordinator, or including directing the implementation of emergency procedures.
SERVICES TO RESIDENTS
- Supervise the personal hygiene and physical well-being of residents through building rounds and task supervision of Personal Care-Housekeeping staff.
- Directly provide personal care and housekeeping services to residents in absence of assigned personal care and housekeeping staff, as part of regular duties if on the night shift, in case of emergency, or in special circumstances:
- Assist residents, as needed, in activities of daily living, including: showering, bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, walking, eating, personal care
- Daily and as often as necessary: make beds, empty garbage, clean toilet and sink, assure any health or safety issues are immediately addressed (for example: changing soiled sheets, reporting and following through on any needed emergency repairs)
- Responsible for all emergency procedures during shift, such as calling 911 for a resident who is ill or has fallen
- Reporting on shift duties and events in the personal care log book
- Supervise dining room during meal times:
- Escort residents who may need assistance to and from the dining room
- Maintain daily meal census. If a resident is unexpectedly absent from a meal, physically check his/her room to assure her/his safety, implementing emergency procedures if necessary
- Deliver meals to residents who are ill in their rooms.
- Assure that meals are served in timely and courteous manner
- Provide conflict resolution services to residents and staff in the dining room during meals
- Assist in serving as necessary
- Facilitate recreation and activity groups as scheduled
- Assist residents in moving into the residence and assist residents, as needed, when discharged from the residence.
- Assist residents in administration of medications, as needed
- Supervise maintenance of the common areas of the mezzanine, lobby, and front sidewalks by appropriate staff each shift.
- As needed: assure that the front desk of the building is covered by staff with appropriate skills throughout assigned shift.
SHIFT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
Morning Shift Supervisor:
- Supervisor the housekeeping duties of the four floor personal care housekeepers
- Maintain inventory of housekeeping supplies and personal care supplies and linens
- Supervise (and in some cases perform) special housekeeping and personal care projects (For example: maintaining curtains in resident rooms, packing up a residents room, shaving or cutting hair for persons who could not otherwise afford it).
- Oversee escort schedule and assign escorts
Afternoon/Evening Shift Supervisor:
- Host and facilitate afternoon and evening tea, serving and promoting social interactions
- Perform rounds of the building to assure resident safety (generally at 4 PM, 6:30 PM, and 9 PM)
- Assist residents as needed with personal care activities, especially those associated with bedtime
- Provide assistance to residents who need help with incontinence garments
- Do laundry related to move-ins or emergency situations
Night Shift Supervisor:
- Split overnight personal care and housekeeping duties with Personal Care Aide/Housekeeper
- Perform medication room control substance count
- Supervise any overnight medications
- Supervise and/or perform building rounds at least hourly, as a fire safety measure and to assure resident safety
- Supervise and/or perform personal care activities for residents as needed.
- Supervise and/or perform personal care activities so that residents with special needs (as delineated in the facility log or in care plans) receive appropriate and timely assistance.
- Assure that personal care staff at the front desk receive relief for breaks
- Assure that laundry is done in accordance with facility procedures, through supervision of staff and/or performance of laundry tasks.
- Work as a member of the team to establish and maintain high level of care and respect for and communication with residents.
- Work cooperatively with other staff members
- Share information about resident progress, needs, and problems with other staff
- Attend training sessions and conferences as required for enhancement of job skills
- Implement emergency procedures as necessary
- Submit all required reports in a complete and timely manner
- Assist with other duties as directed
- Saturday 6am-2pm
- Tuesday 2pm-10pm
- Wednesday 2pm-10pm
- Thursday 2pm-10pm
- Friday 6am-2pm
- Minimum of 3 years experience working with dependent persons
- Preferred: Experience working with elderly persons, homeless persons, and/or persons living with serious mental illness.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment, with staff and residents
- At least 21 years of age.
- Emotionally, mentally, and physically able to perform job responsibilities.
- Able to speak, read, and write English (as required by DSS regulation 487.9.13)
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principal at WSFSSH, where employment is based upon employees’ qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.