Human Resources Generalist
The West Side Federation for Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc. (WSFSSH) is a community-based organization whose mission is to provide safe, affordable housing with supportive services within a residential setting which enhances the independence and dignity of each person. WSFSSH develops, manages, and provides housing for low- income older persons, many of whom live with mental illness and/or have experienced homelessness. WSFSSH is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Human Resources Generalist – Essential Functions
- Provide consultative services and support for human resource initiatives which impact leadership team and team members and employees as a whole.
- Proactively identify opportunities and assess improvements to the employee experience and partner with leadership team to develop and implement innovative and lasting solutions.
- Analyzes metrics to assess organizational effectiveness and recommends changes to positively impact. Provides day-to-day HR operations in the assigned division.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on policies, procedures, employment law and fundamentals of all core areas of human resources.
- The role will focus heavily on employee relations, policies, procedures and strategy implementation
- Conduct exit interviews and analyze data in order to make recommendations to the management team for improvements to WSFSSH work experience.
- Establish a strong partnership with the leadership in your assigned division that includes a mutual understanding of how you support the business in achieving their goals and addressing their priorities.
- Be a culture ambassador for the organization, fostering diversity and inclusion in hiring, promotions and employee recognition.
- Ensure that employees in your assigned division are compliant with regulatory training requirements by creating and administering an annual training plan.
- Keep abreast of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law, and use this knowledge to inform recommendations for continuous improvement in HR policies and procedures.
- Conduct biweekly meetings with assigned division to discuss employee relations issues, review metrics and trends, identify and develop recruitment and training opportunities.
- Work in close partnership with your assigned division to create positive change and proactively mitigate and resolve employee issues.
- Proactively assess employee development needs for your assigned division and provide recommendations for professional development solutions. Work with divisional team leaders to plan and implement those solutions.
- Conduct and document employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations with the timeframe established by Human Resources policy.
- Provide advice and coaching to management on situations that involve employee relations, with the goal of limiting risk and legal liability to the organization. Educate managers on the proper handling of workplace conflict resolution, and mediate same.
- Periodically advise and/or train supervisors and managers on how to conduct disciplinary meetings.
- Track and analyze employee relations data to determine trends and make recommendations for training and/or policy improvements.
RECRUITMENT / ONBOARDING
- Support recruitment and onboarding efforts for your assigned divsion by
- Developing strong partnerships with businesses, schools and other organizations as a method for sourcing qualified candidates for open positions
- Uploading vacant positions as soon as they become eligible for posting and ensuring that they remain visible and accessible on all appropriate job boards until the position is filled.
- Collaborating with managers to develop high-quality job descriptions, hiring criteria and recruitment strategies that serve to accomplish the goal of filling all vacant positions within 30-60 days of posting depending on the vacant position.
- ensuring that offer letters are sent to eligible candidates within 1 business day of the hiring manager confirming candidate selection
- Ensure that candidates are fully onboarded within 3 days of receiving a signed offer letter
- Ensure that New Hire Orientation for your assigned division, is delivered to all new hires within their first 2 weeks of employment. Review and assess vacancies in your assigned division, to develop strategies for efficient and effective workforce planning
- Train new and existing managers on interviewing standards and guidelines at least once annually or as needed.
- Develop and lead the execution of job fairs where necessary, with specific ownership of the event-planning work streams, logistics, candidate flow and data collection/retention
- Assisting in the administrations and execution WSFSSH’s benefits program including but not limited to, health, retirement, short-term/ long- term disability, FMLA, worker’s compensation, LOA, and personal leave, flexible spending accounts, transit and retirement plan, and occupational health and safety.
- Support in the administration of the annual Open Enrollment process.
- Implement the Performance Management Cycle process for your division. Train business mangers on its value and effectiveness and ensure that it is administered effectively
- Train managers within the organization on internal HR policies and procedures including but not limited to performance management, recruitment, etc.
- Facilitate and/or provide compliance related training for the assigned division.
- Assesses employee learning and development needs based on business strategy/needs in order to help close gaps between current and future skill sets.
- Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications.
- Assist in the development and execution of talent management lifecycle and forecasting staffing.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, Business, or related field, and/or 5+ years of human resources experience in a generalist role.
- PHR/SPHR certification strongly preferred.
- Expert proficiency with ADP Workforce Now strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with the ability to prioritize multiple work assignments in a fast-paced, high-growth environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Must be able to analyze a business problem, conceptualize the solution and articulate the recommendation for how best to implement it
- Must possess outstanding coaching skills with a proven track-record of improving employee performance through coaching and training
- Have a proven ability to foster strong relationships with all levels of management and staff based on mutual trust and respect
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent judgement/decision-making skills, particularly in addressing change management issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work in and manage ambiguity – dealing with issues that do not always have a process or a system in place
- Proven ability to build efficient and effective processes and workflows from concept to implementation