The West Side Federation for Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc. (WSFSSH) is a community‐based organization whose mission is to provide safe, affordable housing with supportive services within a residential setting which enhances the independence and dignity of each person. WSFSSH develops, manages, and provides housing and social services for low‐ income older persons, many of whom live with mental illness and/or have experienced homelessness.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Occupancy, the chief responsibility of the Occupancy Specialist is to help maintain a high occupancy rate at buildings owned and/or managed by WSFSSH and conduct all duties in compliance with Low Income Housing Tax Credit guidelines, subsidy guidelines, and equal housing opportunity laws.
- Analyze the occupancy rate at sites in portfolio and determine the appropriate number of interview/appointment notices
- Work with the Leasing & Compliance Assistant to track responses to the interview/appointment notices
- Work with the Leasing & Compliance Assistant to ensure timely response to interview/appointment confirmations or rejection letters
- Interview applicants for program and determine eligibility
- Send third-party income verifications
- Run EIV reports and background checks (if applicable)
- Prepare income certification package and submit to the city for approval (if necessary)
- Hold weekly vacancy meetings with designated members of building staff in portfolio
- Prepare weekly vacancy reports for buildings in portfolio
- Prepare subsidy paperwork
- Finalize initial leasing paperwork and hand file over to building
- Ensure the file is delivered in a way consistent with the standard tenant file set-up
- Ability to manage large amounts of data such as annual contract rent increases, legal rents, income limit changes, etc.
- Input information into the property management database
- Assist with lease-up of new WSFSSH developments
- Travel between Central Office and other WSFSSH sites as necessary
- Attend training sessions and conferences as required for enhancement of job skills
- Assist with other duties as needed
- Maintain high level of care and respect for tenants at all times.
- Work cooperatively and respectfully with Manager and other staff members.
- Liaise effectively with Core staff members including Accounting, Property Management, IT and Asset Management.
- Comply fully with all WSFSSH confidentiality guidelines, safeguarding confidential information at all times.
- Attend training sessions and conferences as required for enhancement of job skills.
- Submit all relevant reports in a complete and timely manner.
- Remain flexible with scheduling as necessary to meet deadlines and accomplish site goals.
- Demonstrate flexibility and initiative to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Proficiency in RealPage or other property management software a plus.
- Experience working in the area of government entitlements a plus.
- Prior experience working with homeless individuals and/or others with special needs preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and orientation to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Able to speak, read and write English articulately.
- Ability to safeguard confidential information with propriety within the framework of WSFSSH policies and all federal, state, and local laws and all allocating agency requirements.
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma Required; Business or Accounting Degree Preferred
- Occupancy Specialist Certification
WSFSSH is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEO); employment is based upon employees’ qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.