Porter – West 129th Street
Porter – West 129th Street
The West Side Federation for Senior and Supportive Housing, Inc. (WSFSSH) is a community‐based organization whose mission is to provide safe, affordable housing with supportive services within a residential setting which enhances the independence and dignity of each person. WSFSSH develops, manages, and provides housing and social services for low‐ income older persons, many of whom live with mental illness and/or have experienced homelessness.
Summary Description Under the supervision of the Super and the Administrator, provide a range of services and supervision to residents of West 129th Street Home with the goal of enabling residents to live as safely and independently as possible.
- Regular maintenance (mopping, vacuuming, cleaning walls, handrails, surfaces, doors, collecting garbage) of the following areas:
- common areas on resident floors
- common areas in the mezzanine and lobby
- mezzanine offices
- elevator lobby and laundry on the basement level
- sidewalk in front of building (make sure clean, free of hazards (for example, snow or ice)
- Regular cleaning of the elevator (including, but not limited to: walls, interior and exterior doors, door-tracks.)
- Regular maintenance of all shared bathrooms on the mezzanine, the lobby and the resident floors (clean all surfaces, mop floors, empty garbage, assure adequate supplies of paper products and soap)
- Assure the lobby, common areas of the mezzanine, and sidewalks are clean and free of hazards
- Maintain cleaning checklists
Maintenance and Repairs:
- Assist super, as directed, in preparing vacant resident rooms for move-ins
- As directed: assist in painting and light repairs
- As directed: assist in special projects (for example: stripping and waxing floors)
Deliveries and Supplies:
- As directed: assist in the reception of food and supplies, including checking in deliveries (checking actual items against delivery slip, assuring that deliveries are intact—no damaged cartons), implementing prompt and safe storage of perishables, implementing appropriate storage of all supplies.
- Assist in maintaining inventory of supplies
- Assist with distribution of supplies
- Work as a member of the team to establish and maintain high level of care and respect for and communication with residents.
- Work cooperatively with other staff members
- Share information about resident progress, needs, and problems with other staff
- Attend training sessions and conferences as required for enhancement of job skills
- Implement emergency procedures as necessary
- Submit all required reports in a complete and timely manner
- Assist with other duties as directed
- Preferred: Minimum of 1 year experience working with dependent persons
- At least 18 years of age.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment, with staff and residents
- Emotionally, mentally, and physically able to perform job responsibilities.
- Able to speak, read, and write English (as required by DSS regulation 487.9.13)
WSFSSH is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer (EEO); employment is based upon employees’ qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, citizenship status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Multiple shifts available!
Sunday - Thursday, 9am-5pm
Tuesday - Saturday, 9am-5pm